Sunday, November 26, 2017

Why I Had to Postpone My Tummy Tuck

Remember that time I thought I had my life all figured out?

Hilarious.

A few months ago, my life looked very different.
I was scheduled to have a tummy tuck on September 15th.

Before the tummy tuck, I was being screened for cancer, and had been through a procedure to check for precancerous cells.
So I didn't think anything about the fact that my period was 3 weeks late.

On September 11th I woke up and thought I should take a pregnancy test, just to rule that out.
There is NO WAY I could be pregnant. I was just SURE that the tests I'd been having and stress from that was the explanation.

So I did the thing (peed on a stick) and walked away. I was so calm about it because I was so at peace with how my life was.
I was about to have my biggest insecurity fixed! After all these years of working out and kicking butt in the gym and the extra skin still being there, it was about to be GONE FOREVER.
The plastic surgeon had been 100% paid for, I had the recliner, I had the medications, I was ready.

That's the funny thing about life... just when you think you've got everything figured out, it surprises you.

When I saw those two pink lines on that pregnancy test, I flipped out.

I had a little meltdown.
Now don't get me wrong, it's not that I wasn't excited, that came later, it was just a COMPLETE AND TOTAL SHOCK!
I've never been shocked by a pregnancy before.
Both of the boys I was SURE about. We had been trying and I had already gone through the mental preparation.

That wasn't the case this time.
I called my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years and asked him if he was sitting down.
When I told him the news I started bawling.
It took us many long conversations about our feelings to realize that this was such a blessing.

We are both in such great places in our lives to have a baby. This is his first (and only, because NO MORE!), we both own our own businesses and have flexible hours.
We are both financially stable.
The boys are in school now so I will be home with 1 child during the day, which will be totally manageable... I think.
It really couldn't be a better time.
An UNEXPECTED time, but nonetheless, a really good time!

We had always said that if we had kids together, GREAT, and if not, GREAT!
Our family never felt "incomplete" or unfulfilled.

It took us 2 full weeks for everything to sink in and for the excitement to hit us.
After the positive test, I scheduled a doctors appointment immediately.
I was still being checked for cervical cancer and was terrified that something was going to be wrong.
I was preparing myself to hear "you have cancer, you can't have a baby because it's unsafe" or something worse.
I tried to be as calm as I could about it, but when I went in for my sonogram and the technician told me "well, there's definitely a baby here!" my life instantly changed.

Is it just me or do you feel like sonogram technicians have the power to change your life with one sentence and they don't even know it?!? She was so nonchalant about it.

I was all "well, okay then!"

I heard the heartbeat and all these feelings began coming back to me of when I was pregnant with the boys and heard their little heartbeats.
There really is nothing like it.

When I met with my doctor we went over everything and she assured me I'd be okay being pregnant at 33- something I was admittedly a little nervous about. I mean the last time I had a baby I was in my 20s. This is different. I'm all... older now. Ha.

We also went over the results from the screening and they had found stage 1 precancerous cells, the least threatening outcome. They will just monitor it after the baby is born.

After that, the news of the pregnancy began REALLY sinking in.
I went immediately into work mode, thinking of all the things we had to do before then.
#1 priority was to buy a home. This was already in our plans to do after the first of the year, but I didn't want to be huge and moving, so we fiercely began looking.
#2, marriage. Again, this is something we've talked about for a very long time. We knew we were going to spend our lives together, but with a baby on the way, I knew this is something I wanted to press the fast forward button on.
We discussed our priorities and were in agreeance that house ruled out over marriage right now.
We decided that we will get married next summer.
We don't want the fact that we are having a baby to take away from the excitement and joy of planning a wedding, also his first.

Since then, we have purchased a home large enough for a family of 5.
This has been the most stressful, exciting, crazy experience!
It is a new construction home and we fell in love when we saw it. We knew we wanted to build a life and raise our children there.
We move in in 4 days!

And while my boys are not biologically his, he has never treated them as anything but.
He is forever patient and kind to them and I can't wait to see this man, who loved us when we were so broken, be a father to our child.

I'll update more soon, old school style. :)

15 weeks (Oct 31, 2017):