Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Pay it Forward- Stephanie, the Fighter

This is Stephanie and her family.


"I share this every year and I don't know that I will ever stop sharing it. Because, here's the thing, I wish I saw a story like mine when cancer came barreling through my life. I wish there was someone years ahead of me on this same road. Someone thriving. Someone surviving. Someone beating the odds and truly living life after a horrific diagnosis. I wish I could see that doctors could be wrong, that statistics didn't matter, and that hope could be healing. 
I was diagnosed on January 25th, 2012, only 19 days after my 25th birthday. 
Stage 3, high grade metastatic Large cell Neuroendocrine cervical cancer-the rarest of the rare and extremely aggressive. 
I was given less than a 20% chance to survive that first year. I'll never forget my oncologist crying as she shared the news. My medical team wasn't sure which route to take and suggested we try anything. If it didn't work, we'd move on to the next option. 
A week after receiving my diagnosis, I underwent a radical hysterectomy, deeming me infertile.
The following week my port was placed, and days later I began chemotherapy. Ecternal radiation was added; My body bombarded with toxic cocktails. 

I would do anything to survive. 

Soon I was cancer-free, but within three months a softball sized tumor had grown. From no evidence of disease, to a softball sized mass. My first of three subsequent recurrences. My chances of survival sank lower and lower.
More surgeries. More chemo. More hospital visits. More blood transfusions. More emergency room stays. More pain. More grief. More trauma. More fear. I thought it would never end. 
But it did! 
4 fights against cancer. 4 surgeries, 55 chemotherapies, 28 radiation treatments and I SURVIVED!

I was cancer free for almost 4 years when this last recurrence (my 5th time fighting cancer) happened. It was a devastating shock.
When I was first diagnosed, my husband and I had a large savings and we had to completely drain it to pay for all of the expensive treatments. We still haven’t been able to build a savings back up because 5 times through cancer is extremely expensive.
I’ve had a total of 5 major surgeries, 73 chemotherapy treatments, 28 radiations, countless ER visits and hospital stays.
I finished chemo the day before Thanksgiving and my next scan will be on Dec 18th. 
I meet with my doc on the 19th to find out if this treatment worked. 😅😅😅"

****************************

I have followed Stephanie on Instagram for years and one thing I absolutely LOVE about her is her outlook on life. 
She, despite fighting cancer FIVE times now, at such a young age, is so incredibly optimistic! 
She can truly teach us all that no matter what tough things you are going through, you can always find hope and positivity in life. 
In July 2018 Stephanie and her husband Matt adopted a sweet baby boy, Breck. 
Stephanie, Matt & Breck need your prayers. 
They need prayers for clear scans. That Stephanie will be cancer free again and for a long, happy life.

******************************************************
How you can help:

Stephanie and Matt are in need of monetary donations. 
ANY AMOUNT WILL HELP!

You can Venmo Stephanie at @smadsen
All monetary donations will go to medical bills and general living expenses. 

Breck, their 1 year old son is also wanting a Kidkraft Kitchenette for Christmas.
If you are wanting to donate one, you can Venmo Stephanie with the title "Breck kitchen"
and those funds will be allocated toward purchasing for him for Christmas. 


You can follow Stephanie's story on her Instagram at @derailingmydiagnosis.
Thank you for Paying it Forward.