Monday, December 10, 2018

Pay it Forward- Ms. Martin's Class

This is Ms. Martin's Kindergarten class


Location: Dorchester, MA

"I have been in tears of happiness watching your pay it forward stories. They have made me think of my amazing students and how much more I wish I could give them. Your friends have been so generous to so many so I thought I would submit my own request on behalf of my classroom.

I teach in a kindergarten autism classroom in the Boston Public Schools system. My school is a title 1 school with 100% of students living in poverty. The students in my classroom present with significant special needs, particularly with communication, social skills, and sensory regulation. On top of their diagnosis, half of my students live in shelters or transitional housing. All of my students come from single parent households, and many of these parents were teenagers when my students were born. Their lives are tough. However, the love big and make my life brighter every day. School for many is a safe haven, and the consistent puzzle piece in their sometimes hectic life.

As we work on building communication and behavior skills, I would love to have proactive strategies available for them that could help them remain calm while facing the world. I would love to get some weighted vests, blankets, and lap pads for my students to help them regulate their sensory systems which would help them participate with greater independence throughout the school day. 


Most of my students do not come to school with snacks so I buy them myself so they won’t go hungry during the school day. If we could get granola bars, crackers, or anything else that would keep for a while in a closet, I would be very grateful (as would their tummies!). 
Gift cards to target, CVS, stop& shop, or amazon that I could send home to their families to purchase food and basics would also be wonderful.
***********************************************************************

WAYS TO HELP:

You can purchase directly from Ms. Martin's Amazon Wishlist and the items will be sent directly to their school.

OTHER WAYS TO HELP:

Ms. Martin has a Donor's Choose site set up for some things for her classroom. You can donate directly to that HERE.

If you would like to send snacks, gift cards, etc. please email me at JBHolidayPIF@gmail.com with the subject line CLASS1210

Thank you for paying it forward.