Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Pay it Forward- The Cortez Family

This is the Cortez Family.

Location: Oceanside, CA


I am a 31 year old mother to 3 beautiful children (2 boys & 1 princess) & wife to a loving & hard working man!
It’s going to be a year this January since our lives changed forever! Holiday season 2017 we took our oldest son Isaac (now 6 years old) to the doctors for concerns about muscle pain in his legs. 
We had really high hopes that our son’s muscle enzyme count would come back normal! That evening the doctor called us to let us know his blood test results & his muscle enzyme count was VERY HIGH! 
As I was hearing this my son was sitting down in front of me playing with his toys. I tried sooo hard not to cry in front of him because I knew what the next step was. 
He was going to have to get tested for all the different types of muscular dystrophy. 

The waiting period to get the results was 3-4 weeks.
December was the longest month of our lives! During this time I was 3 months pregnant with our 3rd baby. 
I tried so hard not to stress myself out or the baby! 
January came along & I received the call I never wanted to get! It was the genetics counselor letting me know Isaac tested positive for Becker’s Muscular dystrophy (slow progressive muscle weakness-no cure).
Once again my son was with me at the time & I tried soo hard not to cry but couldn’t help myself with all my hormones being all over the place!  
By then we knew we were having a boy & him too would have to get tested for Becker’s!

Having to give my husband the news was the HARDEST thing I ever had to do! 
As I was standing in front of my husband about to tell him the words just  wouldn't come out!..only tears! 
That’s when he lost it!..he fell to his knees & started sobbing, crying like a little boy wanting to be held!..never have I ever seen him cry like he did that night! 
Our world had come tumbling down, all of our dreams & hopes we had for our little boy were gone! & to just think our baby on the way had a 50% chance of also having Becker’s we just couldn’t bare the pain! 
May 2018 came & our precious baby boy Liam was born..they tested him at birth & again we had to wait a month for the results! 
Once again I received that phone call I never wanted to hear..our newborn baby also tested positive for Becker’s. 
By now I was physically & emotionally drained! I couldn’t bear the pain anymore! I tried soo hard to be strong for my husband especially because he had fallen into some depression.

I had to quit my job & stay home & take care of our newborn baby because we can’t afford daycare! 
This holiday season we truly don’t know how we’re going to get presents underneath our Christmas tree for our little ones! Being a family of 5 with one income & going through with bankruptcy payments has been EXTREMELY DIFFICULT!!! 
My husband is a hard devoted working man! He brakes his back every day so that his children can have all their needs! 
He always places all of our needs first! We had to cut our cable to try & save a bit more for our utilities! Just this week I had to return a few items to the store & get the money back to use it for gas! 
I ask that you all keep us in your prayers so we can continue to have the strength & hope to carry on!πŸ™πŸΌπŸ’›
*********************************************************************************

WAYS TO HELP:

You can purchase items directly from the Cortez Family Amazon Wishlist   FULFILLED
and it will be sent directly to them. 

You can send them monetary donations HERE. The will go toward diapers, wipes, Christmas for their 3 children, groceries and bills.

OTHER WAYS TO HELP:

If you would like to send letters of encouragement, gift cards, etc. please email me at JBHolidayPIF@gmail.com with the subject line CORTEZ125

Thank you for Paying it Forward.